tickle the ivories= to play the piano弹钢琴 (绝望主妇203)
Susan: "Im sorry. What?"
抱歉,你说什么?
Julie: "Im singing at church for the family follies. Edies going to accompany me on guitar. Shes really good."
我要在教堂为歌舞剧伴唱。伊迪准备用吉他为我伴奏,她很不错的。
Susan: "So you and Edie are, are gonna be an act."
所以你跟伊迪要一起表演节目,
Julie: "Is that a problem?"
有什么问题吗?
Susan: "No. No. I mean, Im a little surprised that you didnt ask me to accompany you first."
没有,没有。我只是有点惊讶你没有先约我给你伴奏。
Julie: "On what? You dont play an instrument."
用什么伴奏,你什么乐器都不会。
Susan: "I play the piano. You know that."
我会弹钢琴的,你知道。
Julie: "How would I know that? Ive never seen you play."
我怎么会知道,你从来没弹过。
Susan: "Well, I played in high school."
我上高中时弹过。
Julie: "So the last time you tickled the ivories was sometime in the late seventies?"
也就是说你上次碰钢琴是在70年代末。
Susan: "It was the early eighties. Well, Im not gonna argue with you. You want to do the show with Edie, and I think thats super. So shes really good, huh?"
是在80年代初好不好。我不打算跟你吵了。你要和伊迪一起表演,我觉得挺棒的。她真的不错,是吧?
Julie: "She knows her guitar. Apparently, there are a lot of musicians in her family, sort of like the Von Trapps."
她懂得吉他,很明显,她家族里有许多音乐家,有点像冯.特拉普家族(电影《音乐之声》里的一家)
Susan: "Hmm."
Julie: "Except, you know, her brother ODd."
除了有一点,她的兄弟死于吸毒过量。
tickle vt. 使发痒;使高兴;使满足ivory 象牙tickle the ivories字面是给象牙挠痒痒,当然不是这个意思,那是以前的钢琴琴键是象牙做的,后来保护大象就禁止。所以tickle the ivories 就有了弹钢琴的意思。= to play the piano 弹钢琴overdose 缩写:OD [ovɚdos] n.配药量过多;过量 v.(使)服过量的药OD [Slang 俚语]用作名词的意思:ODs or ODs1.过量的麻醉剂,毒品Max took an OD and was sent to the hospital.麦克斯使用毒品过了量,被送往医院了。2.使用毒品过量的人How many ODs did you get in here last weekend?上个周末,你们这里收进来多少个使用毒品过量的人?用作动词的意思:过去式:ODd /ODed 第三人称单数:ODs/ODs ODing/ODing1.过量使用毒品致死或得病I had to take my friend to the hospital last night because she ODd.昨晚我必须把朋友送到医院去,因为她吸毒过量。2.沉缅于,着迷于Viewers may have OD’d on athletics and turned to reruns.不少电视观众也许是对看体育节目特别着迷,对一些重播节目也是百看不厌。Susan: "Im sorry. What?"Julie: "Im singing at church for the family follies. Edies going to accompany me on guitar. Shes really good."Susan: "So you and Edie are, are gonna be an act."Julie: "Is that a problem?"Susan: "No. No. I mean, Im a little surprised that you didnt ask me to accompany you first."Julie: "On what? You dont play an instrument."Susan: "I play the piano. You know that."Julie: "How would I know that? Ive never seen you play."Susan: "Well, I played in high school."Julie: "So the last time you tickled the ivories was sometime in the late seventies?"Susan: "It was the early eighties. Well, Im not gonna argue with you. You want to do the show with Edie, and I think thats super. So shes really good, huh?"Julie: "She knows her guitar. Apparently, there are a lot of musicians in her family, sort of like the Von Trapps."Susan: "Hmm."Julie: "Except, you know, her brother ODd."苏珊:抱歉,你说什么? 朱莉:我要在教堂为歌舞剧伴唱。伊迪准备用吉他为我伴奏,她很不错的。 苏珊:所以你跟伊迪要一起表演节目, 朱莉: 有什么问题吗? 苏珊: 没有,没有。我只是有点惊讶你没有先约我给你伴奏。 朱莉:用什么伴奏,你什么乐器都不会。 苏珊: 我会弹钢琴的,你知道。 朱莉: 我怎么会知道,你从来没弹过。 苏珊:我上高中时弹过。 朱莉:也就是说你上次碰钢琴是在70年代末。 苏珊:是在80年代初好不好。我不打算跟你吵了。你要和伊迪一起表演,我觉得挺棒的。她真的不错,是吧? 朱莉:她懂得吉他,很明显,她家族里有许多音乐家,有点像冯.特拉普家族(电影《音乐之声》里的一家) 苏珊: "Hmm." 朱莉:除了有一点,她的兄弟死于吸毒过量。