I kicked ass in that meeting我在推介会上表现令他们刮目相看
Tom: "Nice suit."
衣服真好看啊。
Lynette: "Just hear me out. I was gonna take it back, I swear."
先听我说完。我本来是要拿去退的,我发誓。
Tom: "But?"
但是?
Lynette: "But then I started thinking about it, and you know what? Ill be damned if Im gonna pitch to a roomful of people who are all wearing Armani and Vera Wang, while Im standing there with two-year-old breast milk crusted on my lapel."
然后我转念一想,我觉得如果我要穿着翻领上还有两年前母乳印的破套装,去对着一屋子穿着阿玛尼和维拉.王的人做推介,那我简直太逊了。
Tom: "Lynette..."
勒奈特
Lynette: "And you know what else? I kicked ass in that meeting because of this suit."
你知道吗?就因为穿着这套装,我在推介会上的表现令他们刮目相看。
Tom: "It is a suit. Why are you so obsessed with it?"
不过是件套装罢了,你至于这么痴迷吗?
Lynette: "You cant explain obsession, Tom. It just is."
汤姆,痴迷本身就是个迷啊,它难以解释。
Tom: "No, we are parents. We cant afford the luxury of obsessions."
我们既然已经为人父母了,就不该再痴迷于奢侈品。
Lynette: "See? Thats where I think we have been making a terrible, terrible mistake."
你看,这就是我无法苟同的地方,我们以前真是大错特错了。
Tom: "What is this?"
这是什么玩意儿?
Lynette: "Sometimes we just need to get something that makes us happy. I know that sounds selfish, but Ive been thinking. It might make us better people and maybe even better parents."
有时候我们要学会及时行乐,我知道这听上去很自私,可我想,这样或许会让我们脱胎换骨,甚至更出色的父母。
Tom: "No. No, Lynette, no. This is wrong."
不行,绝对不行,勒奈特,这行不通。
Lynette: "Carbon...fiber...shafts."
碳纤维高尔夫球杆。
Tom: "Wow. I feel like a better parent already. Oh, yeah!"
我的天啊,我似乎已经是个更出色的家长了。
hear sb out 听某人把话说完I’ll be damned. 字面上是我将被诅咒.damn vt. 诅咒;谴责,指责;使…失败 I’ll be damned 后面会再接 if 的子句意思就变成我绝对不会……pitch (美俚语)[pɪtʃ] v. 竭力推销阿玛尼( Armani) 是世界知名奢侈品牌(意大利)VeraWang维拉王(王薇薇VeraWang)华裔时装设计师设计的品牌,以她的名字命名。crusted on my lapelcrust [krʌst]vi. 结硬皮 lapel [ləpel]n. 翻领kick ass 打屁股;打败;了不起obsess [əbses]v. 着迷;困扰obsessed [əbsest] adj. 着迷的obsession[əbseʃn] n. 困扰;沉迷;着魔;妄想be obsessed with 痴迷于…; 迷了心窍cant afford买不起; 花不起; 负担不起Tom: "Nice suit."Lynette: "Just hear me out. I was gonna take it back, I swear."Tom: "But?"Lynette: "But then I started thinking about it, and you know what? Ill be damned if Im gonna pitch to a roomful of people who are all wearing Armani and Vera Wang, while Im standing there with two-year-old breast milk crusted on my lapel."Tom: "Lynette..."Lynette: "And you know what else? I kicked ass in that meeting because of this suit."Tom: "It is a suit. Why are you so obsessed with it?"Lynette: "You cant explain obsession, Tom. It just is."Tom: "No, we are parents. We cant afford the luxury of obsessions."Lynette: "See? Thats where I think we have been making a terrible, terrible mistake."Tom: "What is this?"Lynette: "Sometimes we just need to get something that makes us happy. I know that sounds selfish, but Ive been thinking. It might make us better people and maybe even better parents."Tom: "No. No, Lynette, no. This is wrong."Lynette: "Carbon...fiber...shafts."Tom: "Wow. I feel like a better parent already. Oh, yeah!"汤姆:衣服真好看啊。勒奈特:先听我说完。我本来是要拿去退的,我发誓。汤姆: 但是?勒奈特:然后我转念一想,我觉得如果我要穿着翻领上还有两年前母乳印的破套装,去对着一屋子穿着阿玛尼和维拉.王的人做推介,那我简直太逊了。汤姆:勒奈特勒奈特:你知道吗?就因为穿着这套装,我在推介会上的表现令他们刮目相看。汤姆:不过是件套装罢了,你至于这么痴迷吗?勒奈特:汤姆,痴迷本身就是个迷啊,它难以解释。汤姆:我们既然已经为人父母了,就不该再痴迷于奢侈品。勒奈特:你看,这就是我无法苟同的地方,我们以前真是大错特错了。汤姆:这是什么玩意儿?勒奈特:有时候我们要学会及时行乐,我知道这听上去很自私,可我想,这样或许会让我们脱胎换骨,甚至更出色的父母。汤姆:不行,绝对不行,勒奈特,这行不通。勒奈特:碳纤维高尔夫球杆。汤姆:我的天啊,我似乎已经是个更出色的家长了。