怎样用英语打招呼更高端?
本期看点
地道的问候语
“Sh*t out”怎么用?
连字符的差别有多大?
Section 1
大家是否还记得之前我们讲过关于“whats up?”以及回答方式,那么我们生活中还可以讲哪些地道的问候语呢?这些也是需要一个礼貌的回答即可吗?
笔记分享
What do you say when you meet a co-worker in the office?
当你在办公室遇到同事时,你会说什么?
Whats a good simple easy greeting?
有什么好的简单的问候方式吗?
Heres whats funny, its often a question but we dont necessarily want an answer.
有趣的是,这通常是一个问题,但我们不一定想要答案。
Necessarily 美 [ˌnesəˈserəli]
adv.必要地;必然地;不可避免地
For example, "Hey, whats up?
例如,“嘿,怎么了?
" We dont actually mean tell me everything you got going on, the answer to that is "Not much."
我们的意思并不是告诉我你在做什么,回答是“没什么”。
Another greeting, "Hey, hows it going?"
另一个问候,“嘿,最近怎么样?”
Again, were not asking you to really tell us how things are going for you.
同样,我们并不是要您真正告诉我们您的情况如何
The answer to that is "Good."
答案是“不错”。
Or you could say "Hey whats going on?
或者你可以说“嘿,怎么样?
Again, we dont need to know what you really have going on.
同样,我们不需要知道你到底在做什么。
Its just a greeting and to that you could say "Not much."
这只是一个问候,你可以说“没什么”。
Now my dad, when he would go on runs around the town and he would pass somebody else running, he would always say "How are you doing?"
现在,我爸爸在镇上跑步的时候,当他跑过别人的时候,他总会说:“你好吗?”
"How you doin?" short for "How are you doing?"
“你好吗?” “你好吗?”的缩写。
How are you doing? Thats another good greeting.
你好吗?这是另一个很好的问候。
Again, the answer is just "Fine."
同样,回答只是“很好”。
If its before noon, my favorite greeting is "Morning!"
如果是在中午之前,我最喜欢的问候是“早上好!”
I use this as I walk around the neighborhood in the morning and see neighbors.
当我早上在附近走动并看到邻居时,我会使用它。
Section 2
大家可能想不到这期我们会讲到不太文明的 "Sh*t out of" ,最常听到可能会在一些电影或美剧中,我们一起去看看如果将它放到生活场景中会怎么用?
笔记分享
Were cussing today in this English lesson. Americans use the phrase "Sh*t out of" a couple of different ways.
今天这节英语课我们要讲脏话。美国人有好几种使用“Sh*t out”的方式。
First, "Sh*t out of luck." Notice "out of" becomes "outta". Sh*t out of luck.
首先,“真倒霉。”注意“out of”变成了“outta”。真倒霉。
This means what you want to happen, theres just no way it can happen.
这意味着你想要发生的事情是不可能发生的。
You look into every possibility and and its just not going to work out.
你调查了每一种可能性,结果发现这是行不通的。
For example, last weekend, last minute, I decided to visit my friend, I needed to rent a car.
例如,上周末,最后一分钟,我决定去拜访我的朋友,我需要租一辆车。
And I tried Zipcar, I tried all the car rental places in my neighborhood.
我试了Zipcar,我试了附近所有的租车公司。
I even tried some new app I never heard of before but nothing was available, I was sh*t out of luck.
我甚至尝试了一些我以前从未听说过的新应用程序,但是都行不通,我真是太倒霉了。
We also use it with the verb "beat" and "scared".
我们还将它与动词“击打”和“害怕”一起使用。
If something scares the sh*t out of you, Its just really, really scary.
如果有什么事吓到你了,那真的非常非常可怕。
Lets say I dont think my husband is home, I walk in, its late at night, it turns out hes there, huh!
假设我认为我的丈夫不在家,我走进去,已经很晚了,发现他在那里!
I see him and for a second I dont realize its him, Im like "David, you scared the sh*t out of me."
我看到他,有那么一瞬间我没意识到是他,我想"大卫,你吓死我了"
Now I hope youre never in a fight because I hope no one ever beats the sh*t out of you.
现在我希望你永远不会打架,因为我希望没有人能打败你。
That means they really got you good, it wasnt just a little minor scuffle, hfff, they beat the sh*t out of you.
这意味着他们真的把你打得很厉害,这不仅仅是一场小小的混战,hfff,他们把你打得一塌糊涂。
Minor 美 [ˈmaɪnər]
adj.少数的;轻微的;较小的;次要的;小调的;小音阶的
n.未成年人;辅修科目;辅修课程
v.辅修
Scuffle 美 [ˈskʌfl]
n.(短时间与某人的)小扭打,冲突
vi.(短暂而不严重地)扭打;争斗
Note: Sh*t out of luck can get shortened to SOL, if someone wants to use this phrase but not cuss. Sorry, youre SOL.
注意:Sh*t out of luck可以缩写为SOL,如果有人想用这个短语而不是骂人的话。对不起,你是 SOL。
Section3
在标点符号积累中,连字符也是经常被我们忽略的书写细节,今天我们一起区分hyphen, En dash,Em dash,这三种“横线”怎样出现在文字中?表达怎样的含义,书写要求是什么?
笔记分享
I cant stand it when people misuse the hyphen.
我不能忍受人们误用连字符。
We have three different punctuation symbols that looks similar. We have the hyphen, the En dash, a little longer, and the Em dash, longer still.
我们有三个看起来相似的标点符号。我们有连字符,En破折号,有点长,还有Em破折号,更长。
We use the hyphen to connect words that as an idea are describing something.
我们用连字符连接词语,作为一个概念来描述某事。
For example, a five-minute break. Its not a five break, its not a minute break.
例如,休息五分钟。不是五次休息,也不是一分钟的休息。
Its a five-minute break. Use a hyphen without spaces for five-minute.
休息五分钟。five-minute使用连字符,不带空格。
You can use and En dash, thats the next longest line to show a range of time.
你可以用和En破折号,这是下一个最长的线来表示时间范围。
For example, the event is from 7-10 tonight.
例如,活动将在今晚7点10分举行。
Now the em dash, this is the longest line is used show parenthetical thats extra information.
现在em破折号,这是使用的最长的一行显示插入额外的信息。
Parenthetical 美 [ˌpærənˈθetɪkl]
adj.插入的;插入成分的
And it drives me crazy when people use the hyphen here.
当人们在这里使用连字符时,我简直快疯了。
For example, my dad who is never late, whos over an hour late.
举个例子,我从不迟到的爸爸,迟到了一个多小时。
My dad whos, dad whos, that doesnt go together in one idea.
我的爸爸是谁,爸爸是谁,这不符合一个想法。
So we need an Em-dash there. Em dash doesnt have a space before or after.
所以我们需要一个Em-dash。. Em破折号前后都没有空格。
Hyphen, en dash, em dash. Learning how to use this can make you writing look more sophisticated.
连字符、en 破折号、em破折号。学习如何使用它可以让你的写作看起来更复杂。
瑞秋纯正美式英语官方号是你在线的美式英语发音资源库。 所有的视频都有字幕,以帮助非母语人士理解。 我们每周新增视频,学习每个音的特定口型。 视频循环播放以提高你的听力理解能力。 关注我们,留言获取每篇视频的笔记文
档。